The Flinders Elite Athlete Program (FEAP) guides our exceptional student athletes from Years 7 to 12 at Matthew Flinders Anglican College.
Students are supported to perform with distinction on the national and international stage while embracing a quality education as part of our caring College community.
Each athlete has an individual performance plan tailored to their personal needs and demands of their chosen sport.
This plan may include support with their:
- academic studies and Flinders journey;
- external program and pathway benchmarks;
- goal setting specific to their sport; and
- holistic development in line with Flinders.
Each athlete is assisted with academic planning and support from their program mentor when participating in state, national or international events that require an extended absence from school.
Students also have access to workshops, presentations and mentoring opportunities to further enhance their skills, mindset and learning capabilities.
Through their FEAP journey, our student athletes are supported to embrace an education for excellence in learning and life.
The vision for the Flinders Elite Athlete Program is to provide an inspiring and nurturing environment for elite athletes to learn the skills, strategies and mindset to achieve their personal best in their sporting and academic pursuits.
Meet some of our elite athletes
FEAP Workshop Program
The FEAP Workshop Program enables students to learn skills and strategies to nurture their sports development, academic growth and wellbeing.
Guest presenters and mentors include professional athletes, sports leaders and high-performance specialists who share their insights, experiences, challenges and successes to inspire and guide our FEAP students.
Many of the presenters provide in-depth mentoring over a series of workshops, with topics ranging from strength and conditioning to nutrition, physiotherapy and performance psychology.
Workshops also include Q&A sessions to enable students to ask for guidance and support with regard to their own sporting journeys and academic pursuits.
Presenters and mentors include:
- Australian Olympian and Coaching Consultant, Bo Hanson
- Sports Psychologist, Dominique Doyle
- Dietician, Alyssa Koenen
- Breathwork and Performance Coach, Richard Burrows
- Sports and Spinal Physio Specialists
- Sunshine Coast Sports Institute Trainers
Students are also supported by and have access to key mentors within our Flinders community, including our Old Flinderians network, teachers in Charge of Sport and the Flinders Directors of Coaching.
Flinders staff pride themselves on building respectful, caring and positive relationships with all students to demonstrate the support they have available to them as part of our College culture.
Who is Eligible to Join FEAP?
FEAP is open to students currently attending or planning to attend Flinders.
Eligibility is determined by a range of factors, such as team representation and sporting achievements.
Eligibility may also be relevant to sports that are offered at the College or have school sport pathways.
Sports may include: AFL, Athletics (T&F), Baseball, Basketball, Cricket, Cross Country, Golf, Hockey, Netball, Rowing, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Surfing, Swimming, Tennis, Touch Football, Triathlon, Volleyball and Water Polo.
Quality Facilities at Flinders
Our 22-hectare campus at Matthew Flinders Anglican College features a suite of high-quality sporting facilities to support sports development and enjoyment by the College community and the wider community.
At Flinders, sport education and involvement is celebrated as an opportunity for students to pursue their sporting passions and explore new hobbies, improve their fitness and health, develop teamwork and leadership skills, and learn through the Health & Physical Education curriculum.
Facilities at Flinders include the multi-purpose, two-court indoor Sports Centre; Flinders Aquatic Centre; Flinders Fitness Centre (a sports-specific training facility and weights room for team and individual training); Andrew Kratzmann Tennis Academy; two manicured flood-lit sporting fields that offer three full-sized fields and two cricket pitches; covered Primary Pavilion with two multi-purpose hard courts; and high-quality indoor and outdoor cricket nets.
About the FEAP Director
Director of Flinders Elite Athlete Program, Ms Lauren Nourse is well aware of the need for a healthy life balance in order to excel and perform to the highest possible standard.
As a former elite athlete in the sport of netball and assistant coach of the Queensland Firebirds, Lauren is passionate about ensuring our high-achieving athletes have the necessary skills and opportunities to maximise their potential in their chosen sport and in their education, while thriving in their personal lives.
Lauren guides the students in the Flinders Elite Athlete Program to identify their goals and learn strategies to help them succeed.
"The aim of the FEAP journey is for students to feel empowered as they become more confident in applying strategies to juggle all aspects of their busy lives in an organised and proactive manner," says Lauren.
"The program is an exciting opportunity for students to be provided with expert assistance and athlete services, all while embracing a quality Flinders education that provides a foundation for their future."
FEAP Athlete Profiles
- Meet Kirra Tappenden: Rising Netball Star and FEAP StudentYear 11 student Kirra Tappenden is reaching lofty heights in her early netball career, with a sensational season so far in 2023. Kirra is mentored as part of our FlindersRead More
- FEAP Athlete Profile - Oscar Nielsen, Basketball and High JumpMeet Oscar Nielsen, a participant in our Flinders Elite Athlete Program who is achieving great sporting success while in his graduating year at Matthew Flinders Anglican College. Oscar is committedRead More
- Profile with Grace Dixon, Flinders Elite Athlete ProgramYear 12 student and rising hockey star Grace Dixon is enjoying being a part of the Flinders Elite Athlete Program (FEAP), which launched in January 2021. With other passionate youngRead More
- FEAP Athlete Profile - Isabella Sammut, Cricket and NetballSince the Flinders Elite Athlete Program launched in January 2021, there have been many opportunities for our student athletes to learn and grow. Here we share a profile with FEAPRead More
- FEAP Athlete Profile - Charles Clark, RowingSince the Flinders Elite Athlete Program launched in January 2021, there have been many opportunities for our student athletes to learn and grow. Year 12 student, Charles Clark is partRead More
- FEAP Athlete Profile - Kya Wills-Rawlings, Athletics and Cross CountryThe Flinders Elite Athlete Program is designed to mentor, inspire and support our student athletes to learn and grow. FEAP is all about developing healthy and positive life skills andRead More