Matthew Flinders Anglican College is committed to providing a wide range of learning opportunities across all areas of the curriculum and to nurturing individual student’s talents and interests. As part of this commitment, the College offers scholarships for students with special talents who, in turn, will make a significant contribution to the life of the College.
The scholarships, remitting up to 50% of tuition fees, are offered to students entering Years 7–12. The Principal’s Scholarship, offering full remission of tuition fees, is offered to outstanding students not currently enrolled at the College. The scholarship will be awarded for the duration of the student’s Secondary schooling, subject to satisfactory performance and progress.
Apply for Scholarships
The Board of Directors of Matthew Flinders Anglican College is pleased to offer the following scholarships for students currently enrolled or considering entering the College in 2020:
Scholarship Applications – Now Open (for 2020 entry)
- The Principal’s Scholarship (open to new students only – means tested)
- Flinders Foundation Scholarship (open to new students only in Year 10 2020)
Scholarship Applications – Open in January (for 2021 entry)
- Academic Scholarship
- General Excellence
- The Principal’s Scholarship (open to new students only – means tested)
The selection of scholarship recipients will be determined through a College-administered process. Scholarships will be offered for the duration of the student’s Secondary schooling (subject to annual review).
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Registrar’s Office on 07 5477 3260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close Friday, 23 August 2019. No late applications will be accepted.
Sport Scholarships, remitting up to 50% of tuition fees*, are offered to students entering Years 7-12. Applicants for the Sport Scholarship must demonstrate sound academic ability along with outstanding performance in the field of sport (including chess or debating). Preference is given to sports which are played at Flinders. Applicants are also to show evidence of broad involvement across school life.
The scholarship will be awarded for the duration of the student’s Secondary schooling, and will be subject to an annual review.
* Note: 50% of local student tuition fees.
Please complete the Application online, then forward portfolio including:
- Supporting documentation for the applicant’s areas of excellence including levels of achievement, eg State or National level for sport, or the equivalent level of participation of competition in chess or debating.
- Also include documentation showing evidence of broad involvement across school life.
- A copy of the applicant’s most recent school report and NAPLAN results.
- Two references relevant to the areas of excellence including the contact details of the referees.
Short-listed applicants and their parents will be invited to attend an interview with the Principal. Scholarship winners will be announced in September following this process.
The Principal’s Scholarship, offering full remission of tuition fees*, is offered to an outstanding student not currently enrolled at the College. The winner will be selected from the Sport Scholarships, at the Principal’s discretion. Applicants must first apply for the Sport Scholarships.
The Principal’s Scholarship also covers the Textbook and Resource Levy, Technology Levy and Mobile Device Fee but excludes other charges, for example, subject levies, optional tours, excursions and sports/music fees. The scholarship will be awarded for the duration of the student’s Secondary schooling, and will be subject to an annual review. The awarding of this scholarship will be at the Principal’s discretion.
*Note: Full fee paying overseas students are not eligible to apply for the Principal’s Scholarship.
To apply, the applicant must:
- Be an external student not currently enrolled at Matthew Flinders Anglican College, and who, due to financial constraints, would not normally be able to consider a Flinders education.
- The applicant’s family must be prepared to complete a financial statement. This will include disclosure, in strict confidence, of the family’s financial situation.
- The applicant must also apply online for the Sport Scholarships.
Please complete the application online, then forward with scholarship application folio:
- A completed financial statement.
- A short hand-written essay from the student outlining why he/she would like to come to Flinders.
Short-listed applicants and their parents will be invited to attend an interview with the Principal. Scholarship winners will be announced following this process.
Please download the Financial Statement.
Flinders Foundation Scholarship
The Flinders Foundation is pleased to offer a Flinders Foundation Scholarship as part of the 30-year celebrations of the founding of the College.
The scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding student not currently enrolled at Matthew Flinders Anglican College, and will cover 50% remission of the recipient’s tuition fees for the three year period from 2020 – 2022 subject to an annual review of his/her academic progress, and overall contribution to the life of the College. Click here for more information.
Scholarships are open from January to March each year for Academic, General Excellence and Music Scholarships. Applications for Sport Scholarships open in July and close in August. The College believes that the process is fair for all and the open period enables all applicants during that period the chance to put their best claim forward. Scholarships are highly sought after and the College acknowledges the process enables equitable consideration of candidates. Due to the integrity of the scholarships process, the College is unable to offer any special considerations.
Applicants who are shortlisted for the Academic, General Excellence and Music Scholarships will be invited to attend an interview with the Principal in Term 2. Applicants for the Music Scholarship will be contacted regarding an audition, if required. Short-listed applicants for the Sport Scholarship will be invited to attend an interview with the Principal in Term 3. Scholarship winners will be announced in April/May and September, and unsuccessful candidates will be advised in writing. Details of their results will be included.
We would love to show you around Matthew Flinders and showcase the wonderful opportunities on offer. We invite you to contact our Registrar, Mrs Debbie Southern, to organise a tour of the College (click here to book a place).
No, we require only one folio from each scholarship applicant. Please note the Folio Requirements:
- Only ONE folio is required, even if the applicant is applying for more than one scholarship.
- Please forward maximum of 20 A4 pages plus school reports, stapled in top left-hand corner
- Please include documents as outlined in scholarships criteria, ie academic reports, references, supporting documents of achievement
- Please do not submit plastic/hard presentation folders.
- Please do not submit original photos, ribbons, medals, artwork.
- The deadline for the submission of folios is 4pm on the closing date.
Please note: Folios should be posted to The Registrar, Matthew Flinders Anglican College, 1-47 Stringybark Road, Buderim Qld, 4556 (and must arrive by the closing date), or can be emailed to email@example.com or hand-delivered to the Main Administration by 4pm on the closing date.
- Online registrations close 11pm (Qld time) / midnight (AEDT) for March applications and midnight for August applications.
- No late applications will be accepted.
Matthew Flinders is committed to the academic success of all of its students regardless of where their other strengths may lie. Having applicants sit the scholarship exam provides useful information that helps us to be best prepared to meet the learning needs of those who are successful in their applications. Whilst the results achieved in this testing is a key aspect of Academic and General Excellence Scholarships criteria, it is not a key criteria for the Music Scholarship. Please refer to the description of this scholarship for further information.
Yes. All General Excellence and Music Scholarship applicants must first apply for the Academic scholarship and sit the scholarship exam. External students may apply for the Principal’s Scholarship, if they meet the criteria. Sport Scholarship applicants may also apply for the Principal’s Scholarship, if they meet the criteria.
All applicants for Academic, General Excellence and Music Scholarship will pay only the one fee online, 2020 fee TBA, for the scholarship exam, regardless of how many scholarships they are applying for. The cost to apply for the Sport Scholarship scholarship is $50 paid online.