Students at Matthew Flinders Anglican College have excelled in the 2022 NAPLAN, with Flinders the highest achieving Primary School and Secondary School in the Sunshine Coast region for the second consecutive year.
And the College has also celebrated other major achievements this year, including being named one of The Educator's 5-Star Innovative Schools for 2022 and an Apple Distinguished School for its outstanding implementation of Apple technology.
Through NAPLAN results, The Courier Mail reported on 29 November, 2022 that Flinders had higher Year 5 yearly results than any other school in the Sunshine Coast between 2017 and 2021, scoring an average of 2675.0 each year.
This was according to an independent analysis that revealed the schools which consistently performed the best in the Year 5 and Year 9 tests between 2017 and 2021.
National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) provides a national, consistent measure of students across Years 3, 5, 7 and 9 on their fundamental literacy and numeracy skills in the six domains of Reading, Writing, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar, and Numeracy.
To see Flinders' 2022 NAPLAN results, see our Academic Results page here.
NAPLAN 2022 Achievements at Flinders
- Flinders achieved in excess of the national average (mean scale scores) in all six domain areas and across all year levels.
- The cohort average showed that Flinders students performed at least 8% stronger than the nation’s average across all year levels (with Year 5 at 10% stronger)
- Flinders achieved in excess of the national growth rate in five domain areas (except Reading) and across all year levels.
- Flinders’ Year 7 growth rate exceeded national growth rate by 20% from previous NAPLAN testing
- Flinders’ Year 9 growth rate exceeded national growth rate by 10% from previous NAPLAN testing.
Flinders Highlights in 2022
The College celebrated other highlights and awards in 2022, including the following:
- Named one of The Educator’s 5-Star Innovative Schools for 2022
- Named an Apple Distinguished School in 2022
- Topped the list as the best Primary school on the Sunshine Coast with a perfect score of 100, according to independent education website, Better Education.
From the Principal
Flinders Principal Stuart Meade said NAPLAN enabled the College to have feedback about students’ progress and achievement in regards to their literacy and numeracy skills.
“We appreciate that NAPLAN is only one measure amongst a number of measures we use to constantly review and refine our curriculum and our teaching and learning programs,” Stuart said.
“Our NAPLAN results highlight the exceptional quality of our teachers, the high level of engagement of our students and the benefits of our strong commitment to using research to inform our teaching.”
At Flinders, students are encouraged from their Primary School years to develop positive learner traits by reflecting on their learning approach, accepting feedback, setting weekly goals to improve and proactively building their ‘effort’ muscle to achieve success.
Stuart said that to prepare students for the NAPLAN testing, “Flinders provides excellent quality teaching by highly committed and skilled teachers, using evidence-informed teaching strategies. However, we do not ‘teach to the test’.
And academic results are recognised as just one part of the picture for developing a Flinders graduate.
“Whilst we are incredibly pleased to know that our students are attaining high levels of literacy and numeracy, we also know that we must ensure that creativity and innovation are always present,” Stuart said.
“It’s also vital that we develop our students as people of strong moral character who display curiosity, creativity and entrepreneurial dispositions.”
To learn more about Flinders, book your personalised tour here.